One of the most challenging things for anyone in business is feeling overwhelmed. An Assistant is expected to be super efficient and organise the day ahead, but with ever increasing projects and “to-do” lists, sometimes you just don’t know where to start.
Here are my top tips for dealing with overwhelm:
Get it all out on paper
- Write down everything you have going on. What are today’s tasks and what do you have to do on a daily, weekly and monthly basis? Put everything down on paper.
- Have a good look what you’ve written. Which are minor jobs? What are the big projects? What is their priority level?
- You can access our free download HERE to help you with this process.
Get honest with yourself
- Be really self-honest and assess if you are trying to do too much. Which of these jobs can be delegated elsewhere? Ask a colleague to help, or be upfront with your boss as to how much you can realistically take on. It’s important to manage their expectations of you.
- The only way to deal with feelings of overwhelm is to actually address them and take action!
- Add all the minor jobs to a “to-do” list to work through systematically. Sometimes just getting rid of these little jobs clears a load off your plate.
- Organise your bigger projects by breaking them down and prioritizing them. Our download will help you with this process.
Change your perspective
- If you’re feeling particular negative, it’s difficult to overcome any feelings of overwhelm. Attitude is everything in business. A negative attitude is draining and won’t get you anywhere – nor get you much appreciation.
- Even when you don’t feel like it, try to approach everything with a positive frame of mind. It really does make a huge difference. Remember how awesome you are – after all, you wouldn’t have so much to do if people didn’t rate you!
- If it’s all getting too much, get away from your desk for a short break, then come back refreshed. But keep the break short!
Best of luck Angels and I hope you find the workbook useful.